Join Play England in asking local MPs and councillors to Love Outdoor Play on Valentine’s Day!
How about emailing your MP or your local councillors some love and asking them to show that they Love Outdoor Play on Valentine’s day?
You can download our template Valentine’s card to get you started and use our template letter to help you think about what you want to say. Your ask will have more impact if you tailor it to what is important for you locally, and could cover issues such as:
- Outdoor play needs to be considered in local planning, health, education and housing decisions
- Children should be able to safely cycle, walk and skateboard round their neighbourhoods, especially the routes to school and local play spaces
- It should be free and easy for communities to close a street for play
- Schools and Children’s Centres should take a risk:benefit approach to planning play – give kids challenges, not wrapping them up in cotton wool
- Schools should open their grounds after school and at weekends (as is common in many other parts of the world, indeed in Sweden it’s illegal not to!)
Whatever you want to change in your local community to make it a better place to play, join Play England this Valentine’s day in asking local MPs and Councillors to Love Outdoor Play! The decisions they make shape the spaces and places children have to play, but do they even realise how important freedom to play outside is to you, to your family and to your local community?
It is your democratic right to ask your Councillor and/or MP to get involved in play, and their democratic responsibility to listen to what you – their constituents – want.
Imagine if everyone who says they think children should have freedom to play sent a message to their MP – we’d be on track to making sure that all children in England have the freedom and space to play outdoors.
And do tell us when they reply…
PS and if you see this on the 15/2, well who doesn’t like getting a bit of belated love! Happy Valentine’s LoveOutdoorPlay friends!